<$BlogRSDUrl$>
 
  STANDARD  DEVIANCE  σ
   Mocking the World since 2003
 

Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Cha-Ching! 

So it appears Gawker Media may have actually found a way to bring in some decent cash: special advertising sections. Gawker has launched a blog for Nike entitled "The Art of Speed" which follows short films Nike had commissioned to depict speed. The blog is written by the fabulous Remy Stern of New Yorkish (which sadly means, for the next month or so, us New Yorkish addicts will have to go elsewhere for our comedy fix). Standard Deviance can't quite chime in just yet on the blog content as I am still having internet problems and thus attempting to view streaming video might make my computer shake wildly and explode, but I can spout off on the idea of a special advertising section.

When I read magazines I generally skip past the pages listed as "Special Advertising Section" usually while grumbling "Do they think I'm an idiot, I know that's not really part of the magazine, they just want me to buy Crest Whitestrips or whatever..." However, it seems this blog is somewhat different. First off, I am never really sure who's writing those special advertising sections in the magazines. I've always assumed that the advertiser wrote the content, not the magazine. With the Art of Speed it is clearly labeled that while Nike and Gawker teamed up together for the content, Remy is the writer. Since Gawker Media and Remy have built up reputations for quality work and independence from advertisers, I don't have to worry about being conned. Secondly, this advertising section doesn't seem to be trying to sell me a particular product. Generally when I see special advertising sections in InStyle magazine, the section is trying to convince me that several studies, one board certified dermatologist, and InStyle all agree that Oxy 10 is the best way to get rid of my zits and I should go buy it right away. This blog, while it is selling the idea of speed and Nike's dedication to speed, isn't trying to stuff a new pair of running sneakers down my throat. Thus, as of yet, the special advertising section hasn't alienated me, and since I am a fan of Gawker and Remy, I would be inclined to read it. What more could an advertiser wish for?

Many other responses to Art of Speed have also been positive:
BuzzMachine
Instapundit
Adrants
Susan Mernit
New York Times
PR Week [via The Blog Herald]

Stay tuned for part two: Is this blog any good?

Welcome to
Standard Deviance.
Today's specials are humor and satire.

Main
About
Email
AIM
RSS Feed
Atom Feed
Looking for standard deviation? Click Here

Variance

Variance is down. Sorry.
 

Information

Other Deviants


Archives


December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004

Credits



 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
 
Subscribe with Bloglines
 

 

 
2RSS.com :: RSS directory